Data Allowance Policy
The Viasat Bandwidth Usage Policy is designed to ensure that Freedom Plan subscribers receive the full benefit of their service plan.
Q: How much data usage is included in my Freedom Plan service?
A: The Freedom Plan does not have a strict data allowance. If you use greater than 150 GB of data during your monthly billing period, your speeds will be affected, as described below, and we may contact you and request that you reduce your usage or transition to another service plan, as further described below.
Q: What happens if I use greater than 150 GB of data during my monthly billing period?
A: If you use greater than 150 GB of data during your monthly billing period:
- Your web and email speeds may not be slower, but other types of internet traffic, including video streaming, will be slower until the end of your monthly billing period, which will prevent you from streaming video on multiple devices and may not allow you to stream high definition video.
- You will have lower priority on our network until the end of your monthly billing period. This may result in slower speeds for all your internet traffic during periods of congestion, as described in Viasat’s Network Management Policy.
- You will not receive up to 25 Mbps download speeds for the remainder of your monthly billing period if you are a subscriber to a 25 Mbps service plan.
- We may contact you and request that you reduce your monthly usage below 150 GB or transition to another service plan. If you do neither, we may terminate your service.
- We may take additional actions in the future to further slow or restrict your service if you use more than 150 GB of data during your monthly billing period. If we do so, we will update this Bandwidth Usage Policy to describe these additional actions.
Q: Will I be notified if I am coming close to reaching 150 GB of usage during my monthly billing period and if I exceed 150 GB during my monthly billing period?
A: Yes, we will send you a reminder if you are approaching 150 GB of usage during a monthly billing period, and another notice if you exceed 150 GB of usage during a monthly billing period.
Q: Can I monitor my usage?
A: Yes. You can access your usage meter by going to a link available here: https://oeccwildblue.ruralportal.net/. Log in using your username and password and click on the “Usage/BuyMore” tab to see your current data usage.
Q: Do you reset the measurement of my data usage each month?
A: Yes. Each month, on the date your bill is due, we reset our measurement of your data usage. You can find your reset date by going to our website and logging in using your username and password.
Q: May I use the data I receive through my Freedom Plan service for business purposes?
A: No, other than for home office purposes. The service is for personal and non-commercial use only, and must be used solely in your residence and not in any commercial, retail or other business location (other than a home office in your residence).
Q: Can I Buy More usage if I go over 150 GB during my monthly billing period?
A: Yes. Buy More is available on the Freedom Plan.
Q: I understand that you slow my speeds if I use greater than 150 GB of data during my monthly billing period, but why do my speeds vary at times when I haven’t used 150 GB of monthly data?
A: The speed of the internet service may vary due to, among other factors, network or internet congestion, the number of users in a household at a particular time, the caliber of in-home networking connections, computer performance (including the presence of viruses or malware), the limitations of different devices (such as a smartphone versus a desktop computer) and severe weather.
Q: What is the Video Data Extender and how does it affect my Freedom Plan?
A: The Video Data Extender is a feature that streams video at DVD quality, which allows you to get more out of your monthly data allowance. Not all video sources are identifiable and available to benefit from the Video Data Extender. You can turn the Video Data Extender off or on at any time by visiting https://oeccwildblue.ruralportal.net/.